1992 Volkswagen GTI
I have been looking for a Mk2 for quite some time since I've basically stopped working on the MK4. The MK4 is a great car, and I thoroughly enjoy driving it but at this point anything I do to it is going to cost big money. That would involve either major engine modifications or major body customization. The car has 31,000 miles on it (as of June 2006) and I want to keep those miles down to keep its value up should I decide to sell or trade it in. I'll still be driving it on the nice days and what-not.
That brings me to May 3, 2006 when I bought my second VW GTI. It was a customer car for one of the Denver area tuning companies RS Motorsports
. I've spoken with Joel from RS a few times about my MK4 and his reputation in the community is outstanding. They were asking $1800 originally, but Joel dropped it down to $1500 which was exactly the number I had in mind. I saw it during lunch and ran a CarFax after I got back to the office which came back clean and I arranged the money and the same day, I drove it home.
One of the biggest selling points is the color. It seems like every GTI I have found has been black (which I will NEVER do again, and I mean it this time...) or red (which I've never been very fond of). The Montana Green(Monty) is a much less common color and kinda off-beat which suits my desires for this car. I plan on building a daily driver and track car, with attention to detail and thoughtfulness that should at least not make it embarrassing to take to car shows.
Since I've decided to put a VR6 into it, the track car idea is pretty well shot so I've kinda gone more towards the show side. It's in no way a
"show car" build since I'm not putting that kind of detail into it, but if I decide to do something more serious down the line, I've got a great start.
My plan is to go euro-retro with the car.
Exterior details include:
Interior details include:
- Euro small chrome stripe bumpers
- Single round badge-less grille - maybe switch to single round with badge
- 8v lip spoiler - maybe switch to 16v or duckbill
- E-code Hella headlights
- Shaved banana lights
- Shaved driver side wiper(with single wiper conversion)
- Shaved side strips
- Shaved side skirts
- Shaved pulled and rolled fenders
- Shaved VW emblem from rear
- Shaved rear wiper
- Shaved antenna
- Remove passenger mirror
- Replace door handles with Audi or Porsche chrome pieces
- Happich Pop-Out Windows
- No 3rd Brake Light Rear Glass
Performance details include:
- Recaro trophy front seats with custom fabric
- Custom fabric matching seats for rear seats
- Custom fabric matching door cards
- Chrome stripe for door cards and new non-cracked dash
- Chrome door pulls
- Chrome lock knobs
- Chrome mirror adjusters
- Chrome sunroof handle
- Smoked dome light
- Corrado steering wheel (I know it's not retro, but i need the leg room)
- Chrome golf ball style shift knob
- Match seat bolsters to emergency brake and shift boot
- No speaker door map pockets
*Italic is done or acquired.
- Willwood, Audi or Corrado front calipers w/ 11" rotors
- Billstein Coil-overs
- VR6 engine
- Porsche Phone Dial wheels
- Corrado steel wheels (Winter/Track)
I've got a running list of parts I'm looking for, what I've found and what I've paid for things. Click here for the list